Friday, May 30, 2008

Luke 2:49-51

“’Why were you searching for me?’ he asked.’ Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?’ But they did not understand what he was saying to them.

Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. And Jesus grew in wisdom stature and in favor with God and men.”

                                                - Luke 2:49-51


Jesus and his family had been on a journey. During this time they had stopped off in Jerusalem and then moved on. Mary and Joseph just assumed that He was somewhere in the caravan probably playing with the other kids. But even at 12 years old, Jesus was keenly aware of his role on the earth and his duty to God the Father. That is why he asked that question…”Didn’t you know…” But he was also called to live a perfect life and thus fell under the authority of his parents and the call to “Honor your mother and father”.

And so Jesus, even though he knew the ultimate purpose of his incarnation, also followed God’s moral will, to honor his parents.


Many times as Christians we can know our calling or our gifts. And we can use those things as an excuse to ignore the moral will of God. We see a need that needs to be met but because it does not fit into our original calling or we don’t have a gifting in that area we try to kick it off to someone else or some other ministry.

Starting up Ignite has been a hectic and tiring process. I have often had to perform tasks that did not necessarily have to do with my calling as a pastor. Other tasks were difficult and tiresome for me because I was not at all gifted in those particular areas.

But the truth is that even though those things did not align with my calling, I was still called to do them. Sometimes though, in my heart a battle is raging. I want to ask, “Don’t you know that I’m supposed to be doing such and such instead?”

Other situations include moral issues like speeding on the freeway to make it on time for church functions etc.

In contrast to Christ, he bible talks about something called ‘corban’ when a son or daughter forsook being obedient to their parents using God’s service as an excuse.
“Oh, I couldn’t take out the trash because I had to go to bible study.”
“Sorry, I didn’t have time to clean my room because we had an event.”

As ridiculous as that sounds we do the same thing with God.

“Sorry Lord, I couldn’t help that old crippled lady load her cart full of groceries into her car because the weekend service was tiring and I was just too tired.”


Following Christ needs to be consistent in all facets of life. Love needs to infiltrate every second of every day. It needs to be systemic in my attitude and lifestyle.

On the road or off. At home or at the office. At church or at Costco. The church parking lot or the UH parking lot.


Lord,
Please forgive me when I have not been consistent. Thank you for forgiveness in the past and the future. Please help me to be consistent in my calling as a follower of Christ no matter where I am.

In Jesus name Amen.

0 comments: